Island Green Seasoning by Boardgains Founder Eric Mathura
Island Green Seasoning is now another staple for my seasonings and in Trinidadian culture each family has their own style of green seasoning. The beauty about this seasoning is that it's great on everything and really versatile. I perfected this recipe after going to Trinidad and watching and learning from my Grandma and how she created her. I then came back home and gave it my own flair. And this seasoning is always a HIT! You can season meat, seafood, and even add it to mayo to make an Island Green Ailio. And this is the healthiest of all the seasonings as well because it's just a bunch of herbs blended together. And it's the colour of Boardgains lol so that's a plus too!
1 Pack Culantro/Shado Beni
1/2 Bunch Cilantro
1 Bunch Green Onions
1/2 Pack Thyme
1 TB Salt
1 TB Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Peeled Garlic
1/2 Cup Water
Yield: Roughly 5lb worth of chicken worth
- Wash all ingredients (Cilantro, Shado Beni, Green Onions, Pimentos, Thyme, Garlic).
- Cut off the stems from cilantro, culantro, green onions, pimentos.
- Add all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until pureed. If it’s too chunky for your desire add a bit more water until your liking.
- Store in a container and refrigerate. The sauce is good for about 2 weeks if refrigerated.