What is a balanced dient and why do we need to have them? In this article we share on the importance of having a balanced diet and it's importance to our bodies.
“A balanced diet is one that contains differing kinds of foods in certain quantities and proportions so that the requirement for calories, proteins, minerals, vitamins and alternative nutrients is adequate and a small provision is reserved for additional nutrients to endure the short length of leanness.”
Balanced diets are important as they supply nutrients the body needs to work effectively. Without balanced nutrition, the body is more prone to disease, infection, fatigue, and low performance.
According to the USDA’s recommendations, half of a person’s plate should consist of fruits and vegetables.
A healthful, balanced diet includes foods from these five groups:
We need balanced diets because:
- Prevents diseases and infections. When you eat the full range of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you improve your immune system and your healthy diet may even help prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- Helps you control your weight. Most people at some point want to lose weight or gain weight – eating a balanced diet helps you control your weight and maintain it over time. It is not feasible to be on a weight-loss diet forever – a balanced diet is the only way to healthily control your weight in the long term.
- Improves your mental health. Getting the right mix of nutrients can help to ease symptoms of depression and anxiety – looking after yourself by eating well is essential as you take steps to good mental health.
- Good for growth. A balanced diet is crucial for children and adolescents. As the body grows it is important to receive the right nutrients so that cells are built and maintained and the body grows at the right pace.
- Better skin and hair. A healthy balanced diet also improves your looks. Eating well contributes to healthy skin and hair and a “glow” that makes one look younger.